Q: Drive unit replaced on brand new care

Had to replace the drive unit for a brand new 8 days old chevy volt-2017. How sever is the issue. I would like to return the car as a 'lemon'. Please advice with your opinion.

Hi there. I understand your concern. However, the vehicle is most likely not a "lemon". A "lemon" in the auto industry is a vehicle that has had multiple unsuccessful attempts to repair the same concern on the same vehicle. The amount of attempts is determined by State Law and varies as such; the usual amount is 3 per the state of Florida. More than likely in your case, there was a fault in the hybrid system and the engineers requested the entire unit in lieu of simply replacing the individual part. Oftentimes they make this request because they want to investigate the entire related system and possibly make corrections at the design, assembly line, or parts manufacturing levels. There is a warranty for a reason; if things never broke we would never need to repair them. It happens. Your Mechanic has hybrid certified technicians that can assist you with future needs for maintenance, inspection, and repairs.

3. Drive unit replaced on brand new care