Q: Door locks don’t work, don’t all lock consistently

The door locks on my 2008 Chevrolet Malibu are absolutely useless! I'm afraid to leave anything valuable in the car because they will lock and unlock on their own. Sometimes they pop up, lock, and then pop back up again. It's a big problem for a car with only 70,000 miles on it! What is causing all of this?

A: Erratic door operations such as locking or ...

Erratic door operations such as locking or un-locking on their own is a common complaint for GM vehicles. The culprit is most likely the lock actuators in each door. The locking system in your car uses a Body Control Module (BCM) to complete a circuit, which controls the ground for the door lock actuators in each door and the trunk. YourMechanic can test the system, clean the connectors to the BCM and check for corrosion. The actuators are prone to a high failure rate and applying dielectric grease in the terminals when replacing can help keep out any damaging water or moisture in the connectors.