Q: Does the AC system need to be refilled with refrigerant after the cycling switch is replaced?

I just replaced my AC cycling switch on my 05 mustang because it was not blowing cold air. Does the AC system need to be refilled with refrigerant after this is done because my compressor clutch is not engaging.

Thanks

A lack of pressure from low refrigerant will absolutely cause a compressor clutch to not engage. If adding refrigerant at home, you make sure to buy a recharge kit that includes a gauge for the system. This is the only way to know for sure what you are putting in and when to stop. You will read the gauge and add refrigerant until the needle reads where it needs to be. Run the A/C during this process. When complete, you are going to want to check the system for leaks. This will not only verify the system is good, but verify the repairs done and make sure the refrigerant doesn’t leak out again. Refrigerant is extremely toxic to the environment and should not be leaked out of the can or the vehicle. I would have a certified professional, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the AC system to pinpoint the issue and move forward with repairs.

• Does the AC system need to be refilled with refrigerant after the cycling switch is replaced?