Q: Does not shift properly

I own an Audi b5 s4 2001.5 - 2002 depending on who you talk to. Here's my issue, sometimes it goes into gear and sometimes it doesn't . Clutch pedal is the same it's always been. I believe it's the slave cylinder but not completely sure. It does feel a little clunky going into gears but nothing different or worse then it was previous to the problem. I see no apparent fluid leaks or brake fluid leaks. Sometimes it drives perfectly fine and other times I can't even leave the driveway. What do you think is causing the problem?

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. Sounds like the synchros inside the transmission are going out. The synchros keep the gears locked together when driving and also allow a driver to shift the gear when the clutch is disengaged. Try shifting the transmission with the engine off and see if the gears will go in. If the gears goes in but have a slight pressure feel, then the synchros are damaged and need replaced. Also, check the detent springs on the shifter. These springs help keep the shifter in gear when driving the vehicle. If you need assistance with your transmission, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose the shifting problem and advise you on a repair.

3. Does not shift properly