Q: Does my car need a R& R fuel pump XL product as a fuel pump replacement?

My fuel pump is bad. Does my car need a R& R fuel pump XL (size)as a fuel pump replacement? Or what specific for 2004 Grand Am?

You should not need anything larger than the stock size fuel pump. Depending on which engine is in your Pontiac Grand Am, you should have the following with the 3.1 engine: ignition on 52-59 psi and at idle 42-56 psi. With the 3.8 engine: ignition on 48-54 psi. You may have already diagnosed this, but you may want to also check to be sure that the fuel pressure regulator is not bad as well as this can cause a drop in fuel pressure. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to remove and replace your fuel pump.

• Does my car need a R& R fuel pump XL product as a fuel pump replacement?