Q: Does a clearance between the centre bore really matter?

i fitted an ofmarket rim onto my car and there was a clearance between the centre bore and the hub cap. Does this clearance affect anything

Hi there - I believe you are talking about the inside diameter (or hole size) of the opening at the center of the wheel, and the outside diameter of the wheel hub, which fits inside that hole. These two dimensions are intended to be a snug, but "hand fit", with no gap between them. This allows the hub to transfer the weight of the car directly to the wheel, and the wheel lug nuts or bolts to simply hold the wheel to the hub. If there is a difference in the two diameters, the wheel lug nuts or bolts are now carrying the weight of the vehicle as well as clamping the wheel to the hub, and can fail over a brief time period. Best to stick to wheels with the same centre diameter as well as bolt pattern.