Q: Do you know of a rear disc brake conversion kit for my car?

asked by on

I am unable to locate a kit for this. Do you know if any modification can be made to allow this?

My car has 350000 miles.
My car has a manual transmission.

Rear disc brakes were available on your vehicle as an option and so you can reconfigure it. If you presently have rear drum brakes and you want to convert to disc brakes, you best option is to obtain used parts from Car-Part.com for example you may need to change the rear spindles and you will need the calipers and caliper bracket. All those parts can be refurbished if you buy them used or you can buy re-built rear calipers. There are kits that are sold, too, such as the Ksport kit No. BKMZ200-422SO for your car but you will be much better off using the OEM design. You might have to change the proportioning valve and/or use an adjustable proportioning valve because the rear brake pressure for disc brakes may be different than that specified for the standard drum brakes. We can check that for you, if you like. There may be some mechanics in your service area who would be interested in doing such a conversion. If you desire to explore that possibility and see what the cost is, simply request a brake system inspection and the responding certified mechanic will look at what you have and let you know what all is involved and what the cost would be. In the meantime, you can gauge the availability and cost of the parts you will need by simply searching the database at Car-Part.com. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Was this answer helpful?
The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details
  1. Home
  2. Questions
  3. Do you know of a rear disc brake conversion kit for my car?

Get an instant quote for your car

Our certified mechanics come to you ・Backed by 12-month, 12,000-mile guarantee・Fair and transparent pricing

Get a quote

What others are asking

Q: Mini van seems to jerk forward while stoppes

What you are describing is a category of inconsistent idle. The underlying fault may exist at higher engine speed but the effect is masked at those higher speeds. Among the potential underlying causes are vacuum leaks, EGR system malfunctions, malfunctioning...

Q: Brake piston compressed rather than turning

The rear calipers on this vehicle incorporate the parking brake system. The parking brake system uses a rotating screw inside the caliper that will push the caliper piston out when parking brake lever is rotated on the caliper. When the...

Q: 04 kia sedona cuts off when i press the brake

Hello, thank you for writing in. You are going to be more concerned with how the vehicle regulates the engine performance when the brakes are applied, rather than the brake system itself. When dealing with something like this, you will...

Related articles

How Long Does a Distributor O Ring Last?
The distributor is part of the ignition system in your vehicle and its purpose is to route high voltage from the ignition coil to the spark plug. The spark plug then...
Rules of the Road For Iowa Drivers
Driving on the roads requires knowledge of the rules, many of which are based on common sense and courtesy. However, even though you know the rules in...
P2428 OBD-II Trouble Code: Exhaust Gas Temperature Too High Bank 1
P2428 code definition A P2428 trouble code signifies that the PCM has detected a problem in the exhaust gas temperature sensor circuit in bank 1, which subsequently contains the number one...