Q: do you have to rekey it also, a shop told us 60 for the part but 250 to rekey

the starter, battery, alternator, flywheel, compressor have just been replaced, it sometimes will not start. they told us it was the ignition switch now, they said part was 60 but it had to be rekeyed that would be 250 more. I don't know if they are telling use the truth or if they just want to get more money out of us. So fare it has been 2500 for the work they did! please help

A: Hello. If the ignition switch is being repl...

Hello. If the ignition switch is being replaced then it does not need to be rekeyed. If it is also the ignition lock cylinder where the key goes in then it is more than likely going to need to be rekeyed. If this is the case then the car would need to be rekeyed which does cost around $250. I would first verify what it is that they are saying you need before you get it done so that you will know if it is necessary. If you'd like a fresh pair of eyes on this issue, consider YourMechanic, as one of our certified technicians can diagnose your starting issue firsthand and suggest what to do from there. Good luck.