Q: Do u add tranmission fluid in when transmission hit light comes on

Transmission hot idle engine indicator light on

A: Transmission fluid can be added when the en...

Transmission fluid can be added when the engine is hot as long as you check for proper transmission fluid level correctly.

1. Position the vehicle on a flat surface
  2. Set the gear into "Park"
  3. Set the parking brake on
  4. Leave engine at idle
  5. Put on gloves and any other safety protection

CAREFUL - things are pretty hot in here!

6. Remove the transmission filler cap(round black cap with white lettering under the hood on the driver side of the vehicle - just behind the radiator.)

7. Remove the dipstick to wipe with a clean cloth, re-insert and twist closed.

8. Remove the cap and dipstick again and carefully observe where the "wet fluid level" comes to on the bottom of the dipstick.There will be a "Hot" mark, below which will be "x" marks, and a "Cold" mark.

9. Add fluid (check your manual for the correct fluid type), to raise the fluid level to the "Hot" line. DO NOT OVERFILL.

If you are uncomfortable doing this, I would recommend a Safety Inspection from YourMechanic to check fluid levels, possible coolant level problems, an accurate assessment of any damage, and provide an estimate for repairs. YourMechanic.com can dispatch a mobile professional mechanic to your location for this repair. Contact YourMechanic.com to request this inspection and to schedule an appointment.