Q: Do I need to stop driving my car immediately if my check engine light and check transmission light both come on and stay on?

Check engine and check transmission lights came on and are alternating back and forth. Should I stop driving immediately or do I have time to find a mechanic to check it out?

Hi there. Anytime a service or warning light illuminates on your dashboard, it is because the ECU of your vehicle has detected a fault from either a system, sensor or individual component. Some are more serious than others, which is why it’s always best to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location; either at home or while you’re at work, to complete a check engine light inspection. This will allow them to download all of these error codes to determine what service or repairs will resolve these issues.

3. Do I need to stop driving my car immediately if my check engine light and check transmission light both come on and stay on?