Q: Do I need to replace my water pump or not?

When I accelerate I heard a loud whinning sound it gets louder as a go. The shop told me I have to replace the water pump. I think it's just a belt. Can I just tighten something to make the nose stop. Or can I just replace a belt instead of the entire pump

Hello, the belt has an automatic tensioner so there is nothing to adjust or tighten. The belt can make noise if it is out of alignment from a pulley being worn or bearing that the pulley rotates is worn. The water pump could be leaking antifreeze which would get on the belt and cause noise. A whining noise is usually a bearing type failure. The alternator, water pump, belt tensioner and idler pulleys all have bearing. The first step would be to take belt off and rotate each component that I listed, each should have a smooth feel when rotating. If you’d like, a certified Your Mechanic technician can come to your location to diagnose the belt noise.