Q: Do I need to get the transfer case fluid and transmission fluid changed?

I drive a 4x4 Expedition, and last time I went in for an oil change, the mechanic said I should get my transfer case fluid and transmission fluid changed out. I've been up to date on all other maintenance, but I've never done that. I've heard conflicting reports on whether changing the transmission fluid is necessary, and I've never heard of changing out the transfer case fluid. Are either of those things necessary?

Hi, thanks for writing in. I looked at your maintenance schedule for your vehicle and found that for up to 150,000 miles, it only says to inspect the fluid level and not change it. The fluids are special fluids and if you did need any work done (i.e. if there is a leak present or other mechanical problem) then make sure the correct Ford certified fluid is used.

When it is time for you to have your transmission fluid serviced, consider having a certified automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to perform the service for you.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. Do I need to get the transfer case fluid and transmission fluid changed?