Q: Do i need new engine? 1999 Subaru Forrester

I was driving on highway and car started ticking. Slowed down. Started smoking and stopped. Check engine light came on. And at oil temp light. I poured 2 quarts of oil in and tried starting it and it shook really bad as if gears were grinding. There was puddle of oil under car. Do I need a new engine?

Hello - yes, quite likely you are facing engine failure and will need to replace the engine. If there is an active leak,such that it is difficult to simply add oil and keep it in the engine, running or not, there is a serious problem. Also - the low oil pressure light is quite often a fatal engine health indicator. Running the engine with a diminishing oil supply causes spot seizures usually at the piston ring-cylinder wall interface, and immediate damage to connecting rod and crankshaft bearings. I would recommend an inspection of the engine by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose the damage done, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Do i need new engine? 1999 Subaru Forrester