Q: Dirty engine

What is the best way to clean an engine w/o taking the whole thing apart?

You can just wash it off. Dirt and oil accumulation can be washed off an engine without disassembling anything. Put a plastic bag over the distributor. Use some aerosol degreaser spray if you have built up oil accumulation and use it liberally on a cool engine. Let that work for a bit. Pressure washer or a do-it-yourself carwash will do the trick. DO NOT direct the high pressure water jet directly into the alternator, computer connections, wiring connectors, fuse box, or air intake. Other than that, everything under the hood is pretty much waterproofed. Spray underneath the engine as far as you can reach. Nothing under there will mind a shower either.

3. Dirty engine