Q: Difficult startup especially after sitting off too long

My car has difficulty starting up. I have to keep the key in the ignition to crank for 5-10 seconds for it to start. It cranks a lot before it is turned on. I have a check engine light on. The error code P0442 appeared. The starting difficulty doesn't depend on weather. It happens when it is cold or hot, but it happens more often if the car was sitting for a longer period of time. Do you have any advice?

A: The most common causes of a vehicle having ...

The most common causes of a vehicle having trouble starting are:

• bad battery
  • failed fuel pump
  • ignition switch
  • no spark present

The P0442 code is a code for a large EVAP (evaporative emmission control system) leak.

With this code and the vehicle starting after it has cranked for a moment, it sounds like the fuel pump might be suspect. Have your difficult startup issue inspected by a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.