Q: Dies off

I just got this car. Started nice the first couple of times. Now it's harder to start and dies off easily

Hello there, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to help you.

Hard starting and stalling can be caused by many things. A few common causes are issues with the fuel, ignition, or engine management systems. If there is an issue with any of the components in any of these systems, such as the fuel pump, camshaft position sensor, or ignition coil, symptoms such as loss of power, acceleration, hard starting, and stalling can occur.

Similar symptoms can also be caused by vacuum or gasket leaks, if they are large enough. If there is a check engine light I would recommend retrieving the trouble codes to see if they may shed some light on what the issue may be. If the vehicle is cranking slowly, then that may be a sign of an issue with the electrical system, perhaps the battery or starter.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make any repairs as needed.