Q: Despite having adequate oil pressure, the warning light comes on dashboard

Recently oil pressure light keeps on coming on the dashboard. After checking oil level in the engine, light keeps on coming on the dashboard.

Can the car be driven until mechanic checks whether the sensor is bad or computer needs to be reset?

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. Having the prope...

Hi, thanks for writing in. Having the proper oil and oil level, and having the proper oil pressure in your engine are 2 very different and unrelated things for the most part. Having low oil pressure is an indicator of existing or impending problems internal to your engine. Low oil pressure is an indicator of excessive crankshaft or rod bearing wear, leaking cam phasers (on this engine in particular), or a worn out oil pump. Low oil pressure will cause accelerated engine wear, and engine failure fairly quickly. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.