Q: Decreased Consistent Acceleration on freeway

I bought my '94 Mercury Topaz V4 Automatic about a month ago. I pulled the codes and it had a P158 for the MAF sensor. I replaced the MAF sensor, air filter, PCV​, and fuel filter. I was on the freeway today and I noticed it was making this exaggerated revving sound after 60 mph. Then it slowly and consistently lost speed. I immediately got off the freeway in time to coast into the gas station as it cut off. Then when I tried to restart it, it won't turn over. Help!

Hi there:

Although it’s probably the worst case scenario, what you’re describing looks a lot like a timing belt issue. However, it’s also possible that an ignition system component like the coil or main relay might have also failed which caused this situation to happen to your Topaz. The only way to know for certain is to have a professional mobile mechanic complete a car is hard to start inspection, so they can pinpoint why this happened and recommend the right repairs.

3. Decreased Consistent Acceleration on freeway