Q: Dash lights, hard and noisy shifting

My car has gone 125,000 miles. It has a CVT. Yesterday I was driving and out of the blue, the dashboard lights came on, including the check engine light, throttle control light and the check transmission warning. I continued driving but the engine lost a lot of power. The shifting into drive was hard and made some rough noise. Do you have any advice what I should do?

You will need to get the fault codes read for your 2005 Mercury Montego. From the description you’ve given, it either sounds like a possible induction system issue in the electronic throttle control or possibly a transmission malfunction. Based on the fact that the indicator lights illuminated and the vehicle went into some sort of limp mode, fault codes should be stored that will be able to point towards the source of the issue. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will be able to retrieve the faults from the computer and diagnose the dashboard warning lights that were illuminated. From there, they will be able to pinpoint the problem and help repair your vehicle.