Q: Dash and tailights out.

My dashboard lights went out along with my taillights, but my headlights work fine. Prior to this happening, I detected a burnt plastic smell from under my steering wheel.

A: The headlight switch actually controls two ...

The headlight switch actually controls two circuits. One circuit goes to the headlight relay and headlights while the other separate circuits goes to the taillights and dashboard lighting. My advice is to have a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, replace the headlight switch and check the repair to ensure there are no other electrical issues to cause the new switch to fail.