Q: CV joints

Hi, i replaced the nearside inner and outer cv joint boots today. After looking back where i got them i realised they also came with cone lube. I just thought it came with 2 lots of grease so the cv joint grease and cone lube have both gone into each boot/cv joint. Is this going to cause me problems or shall i jist leave it be? Thanks

There are two issues, one is whether you now have too much grease in the joint/boot and thus some will be forced out as you drive and, two, whether the two greases are chemically compatible (incompatibility is a not uncommon problem in the world of grease). It would seem unlikely that the two greases are wildly incompatible because obviously the boot sliding over the cone will bring the two greases into contact with one another. All in all, I would leave it alone. Even in the very worst case scenario, which will not come to pass, the grease fails over a period of 5 years, the joint wears out and you have to install a new axle. If we can assist you with other maintenance or repairs, such as engine oil/filter changes please let us know. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.