Q: CV boot or full replacement of CV axle ?

I have a 2011 Toyota Highlander Limited Edition with clicking sound in front passenger side. Sometimes a clunking sound too. I noticed oil on the ground just inside front passenger wheel and thinking my CV joint is causing the noise. If so, how do you determine if just the CV joint needs to be repacked and new CV boot OR if entire CV axle needs to be replaced?

This is a common sign of a failing CV joint. A CV (Constant Velocity) joint is a shaft that connects the transmission to the wheels, essentially transferring the power from the drive train directly to the wheels. The CV joint is packed with a special grease and sealed tight with the rubber or plastic boot, that is held in place with two clamps. The most common problem with the CV joints is when the protective boot cracks or gets damaged. Once this happens, the grease comes out and moisture and dirt get in, causing the CV joint to wear faster and eventually fail due to lack of lubrication and corrosion. When the CV joint becomes damaged or worn, you may hear a clicking or popping sound coming from this area. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your CV joints.