Q: cv axle fell off. RF side. Lower control arm, tierod, and all else ok. 2014 jeep compass 4WD With 6f24 (6speed) trans.

Driving down road, felt like a flat tire. pulled over and check engine light went on. pulled code PO721 X3. output speed sensor. Towed it home and pulled the skid plate to find the CV axle on the front drivers side hanging on the end of the transmission output shaft. I don't want to just slide it back on without removing it and checking for damage. I have no idea how a axle slides off. Control arm and all look good. how does this happen and what should I look for. I only want to do this once. 2014 Jeep compass latitude 4WD with 6f24 (6 speed) trans. I am assuming the code is from the sensors not coinciding with other readings throughout the system.

There is a steel snap ring that fits in a grove on the transmission end of the axle. The snap ring is designed to retain the axle within the transmission. If the snap ring has broken, or otherwise come off, the axle could move out of position. It is also possible for the inner joint to break. Neither of the latter possibilities are common occurrences. You are right, though, that the circumstances warrant a close inspection. In particular, if there were broken pieces of the snap ring left within the transaxle that would be undesirable. It may be that the axle will have to be removed to fully investigate this. If you desire that this problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a CV axle inspection/diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

• cv axle fell off. RF side. Lower control arm, tierod, and all else ok. 2014 jeep compass 4WD With 6f24 (6speed) trans.