Q: Cutoff during braking, engine stuck in neutral

Hi. I have a high-mileage car that has gone around 300,000 miles. A few months back, the issues started. The gauges and lights would cut off each time I applied the brakes. It would last only a moment. Now, the cutoff lasts up to ten seconds. Also, when I give it gas, there is noise in the engine and as if it is stuck in neutral and there is no increase in speed. Do you have any idea what is causing this? What should I check first? Thanks.

A: Hello. If the lights and gauges are cutting...

Hello. If the lights and gauges are cutting off each time you press the brakes, this could be an indication that the alternator is faulty. It also sounds like the transmission may be slipping or having trouble changing gears. I recommend that you have your battery, charging system and transmission inspected by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.