Q: Crunching 2nd gear shifts when cold

I have a Ford Fiesta Zetec 2008. Everytime I go into second gear it crunches I don't notice the problem so much when the cars cold but as it warms up it gets worse and worse. Any ideas what could be causing it all the other gears and fine and don't have that problem at all

Hello. Your transmission is crunching on the 2nd gear shift because of either a worn 2nd gear synchronizer, or the gear oil is too cold for your shift speed. The 2nd gear synchronizer is most likely to wear out first, since it is by far used most heavily, both to upshift and downshift too. Many drivers of manual transmission vehicles utilize a synthetic gearlube for their transmission, because synthetics maintain far more consistent lubrication qualities over a much wider range of temperatures. This reduces the "crunch" in cold-weather shifting.

Slowing your shifts in cold weather will also help reduce this annoyance. Since replacing the synchronizer is an expensive proposition, I would recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to change your transmission gearlube.