Q: Cruise control not working

The cruise control light comes on, but the cruise control will not set.

If the cruise control light is coming on, but it is not engaging, then the system is seeing an issue somewhere. Most of the time this occurs if the Check Engine Light is on. If there is a fault in the computer, then the cruise control will not function. If the light is not on, then it may be from a failure in the brake light switch or a speed sensor problem. I typically start by checking to see if the brake lights work. If they don’t then I replace the brake switch. If they do then I would use a computer scan tool to see if there is an issue with any of the sensor inputs in the system. If you need assistance with any of these tasks, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your office to diagnose your cruise control problem.