Q: Crankshaft position sensor replacement and testing options?

Sometimes my car cranks right up,but sputters and stalls. More frequently it has been very hard to crank, while cranking it will stall and die unless I rev the gas peddle. I'm wondering if it is the crankshaft position sensor.This problem has slowly gotten worse over time; until, now I think it's close to going out completely.

Hi there, Based upon what you are describing, it sounds like you may have an issue related to the engine maintaining proper fuel pressure once it starts. When you turn the key to on prior to starting, the fuel pump primes the fuel injection system with fuel to a very specific amount of pressure needed to start the motor. If this is not sufficient, you may experience problems with the engine starting or maintaining the required fuel pressure to stay running once it starts. The other possibility may be a bad fuel pressure regulator, which is a component that helps maintain proper fuel pressure by bleeding off some of the fuel pressure that is supplied to the fuel injection system and recirculating it back to the fuel tank. This is done in an effort to maintain just the right amount of pressure going to the fuel system, however when this is faulty, this can cause a severe reduction in fuel pressure resulting in the vehicle starving or fuel causing it to sputter or stall as you describe. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your vehicle.

3. Crankshaft position sensor replacement and testing options?