Q: cranks but wont start it shut off

as i turn it on it sounds like it will turn on but then as i let go of the gas it shuts off
My car's transmission is unknown to me.

A: The most common cause of the 4.0 engine not...

The most common cause of the 4.0 engine not starting is the crankshaft position sensor going bad. You can scan the engine and see if you are getting an RPM signal. If you are not getting signal, then the sensor should be tested and replaced. If you are getting the engine to start but it will not stay running, then the oil pressure switch may be broken and it will not keep the fuel pressure on when you let the key go to run. The switch gets broke when changing the oil filter sometimes. If you want to have this looked at in person, a professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the stalling issue and let you know what needs repair.