Q: Cranks but does not start.

One day about a month after I had timing belt/water pump work done, I was driving and my engine just died and hasn't started since. Here is what I have done since I towed it home in chronological order. 1. Just tried starting it. 2. Tried starting it with starter fluid (it hit a little with that). That made me think it wasn't getting fuel. 3. I did some other test and determined that my fuel pump was bad, so I changed it my self. It still did not start (not hitting at all ) but just cranking it there now was a new sound. It sounded like metal hittting something (something along those lines anyway). The sound is in time with the engine turning over. 5. Today I decided to take a glance under the front valve cover. I found that the spark plugs are covered with oil. I cleaned them and the ignition coils and still no start. Also my key fob broke off the key at some point. Idk if it's related or not.

Your 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse is equipped with an interference engine and if the timing belt broke or jumped teeth then the piston will contact the valves. This will cause the engine to have no compression or very low compression. I’d suggest having a compression test done to confirm this.

If you need some help with getting this type of work done, feel free contact a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic. They will assist you by properly diagnosing your starting issue and help you fix it accordingly from there. Bust of luck.

3. Cranks but does not start.