Q: Cranking when starting car

My Mercedes started having a slight problem starting. It never did this before. Last week when I started my car it cranked for a few seconds. The day before I had been driving long enough for the engine to get pretty warm. Then after the engine cooled down for a few of hours I had the cranking problem. Do you know what’s causing this? Any ideas

Hello. There are a few things that could be going wrong here. The battery could have low voltage at times, causing the car to be hard to start. There could also be an intermittent problem with the starter, causing a problem with starting the car.

If the camshaft sensor and/or crankshaft sensor has an intermittent problem, this could also cause a cranking problem making it difficult to start the car. The camshaft and crankshaft sensors read engine timing and if they are not working properly, the car may not start or will be difficult to start.

I would recommend that you have the electrical system inspected, by a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic. This technician will also be able to inspect the camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor to make sure they are working properly.