Q: Cranking sound while closing sunroof Slipping of the motor gear on a 2005 Ford Taurus SE. uses a gallon of water for 15 miles

I have an O5 Ford Taurus SE that makes a cranking sound when I try to close the sunroof. The motor's working fine but the gear of the motor slips with the sliding rime. Also my car drinks a gas tank of water--15 miles a gallon. How to fix that?

You probably are driving fast. These symptoms usually are going to occur if you are driving fast. First thing for the Taurus would be to take it on a good trip - some place that is a couple hundred miles away. Fill it up before you get on a highway and fill it up when you get off the highway. See what kind of mileage you are going to get. If you were driving normal, then the symptoms you are seeing are most likely just a result of the way you are driving. Those things are gas-hogs if you are driving fast. I’ve driven some of those when I was testing them out in town and sometimes I’d get 7-8 miles a gallon because I driving like an absolute maniac when I’m road-testing cars.

As for the cranking sound when you close the sunroof. If the gear is slipping, you might try a new motoring gear. Hope that the gear is just worn and it slipped, because if not, you are going to live without that sunroof. The sunroof assembly itself, if they break down, will only available as a big unit that costs a small fortune.

I wouldn’t advise doing anything other than a motor. If the actual assembly is breaking down, just close it and leave it closed because that costs a whole bunch of money to buy. You don’t want to try a used one because they are all worn out when they get older. They weren’t made to last a million years. If you’d like, have the power sunroof inspected by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

• Cranking sound while closing sunroof Slipping of the motor gear on a 2005 Ford Taurus SE. uses a gallon of water for 15 miles