Q: Crank but no start on occasion

a few weeks ago I noticed my car was running rough when I would start it and in idle. Well one day it finally happened, the car won't start back up after i pumped gas into it. (I don't let it get to the point where the gas light comes on). Well in order to get it stated you would have to step on the gas and feather it until it came back to life. I took it to a local shop who I trust and they couldn't find anything wrong with it, so we just did the normal oil change. Well about two weeks went by now and I recently went to work and worked for about an hour and found out that gas prices will skyrocket over the weekend. So I took a break and went to go get gas. (The gas station was a 30 second drive from one side of the parking lot to the other). I fill up and get back in. I tried to start it, but it didn't work. IT will crank but it wouldn't start, as did the first time it happened. I then had to step on the peddle to get it to start up.

When you are putting in fuel, the vapors that build up during refueling normally go into the carbon canister to be stored. This is so that the engine can use them when you are cruising. The computer opens the purge valve to allow the engine to pull in the fumes and burn them. What is happening with your car is the purge valve is not sealing properly and allowing vapors to flow through it even when it is closed off. Have the purge valve tested to see if it is leaking and replace it if it is. This will cure the hard start after refueling.

3. Crank but no start on occasion