Q: Q: Cracked radiator?

There are green stains on the radiator, and my mechanic is telling me that I have a cracked radiator. After driving 44 miles when outside temperature is greater than 90 degrees farenheight I do not see any fresh fluid of any kind on the radiator - the dry green stains on the radiator are still dry green stains. The car is running fine, not over heating, or showing any other signs of fluid leaks. Do I really have a cracked radiator? Could the green stains be from coolant overflow while trying to add some earlier on? What other symptoms should I be looking for to confirm a cracked radiator?

If you have added fluid to the radiator more than once in a year and only have to add more than a few ounces then you may have a leak in the radiator. The stains are the green dye they put in the mix so the fluid is visible when it leaks. You can have a mechanic pressure test the radiator and cooling system to see where the leak is coming from. I would suspect the plastic tank is cracked or the seal where the tank mounts to the metal part of the radiator. Either way the radiator would probably need to be replaced. A certified mobile mechanic can inspect the source of the leak at your home or office.

3. Q: Cracked radiator?