Q: Could my water pump be going bad if my car hasn't over heated yet?

So my car has been making a grinding noise from near the water pump and ac compressor area but today I noticed it was smoking a little but the car wasn't overheating at all. The smoke also kind of smelled like burning coolant. I bought a new AC compressor for about 300 dollars but what if it's not that and it's actually my water pump? What's the best way to determine which of the two it is exactly so I can get my money back if it's not the compressor?

Hi, thanks for writing in. First look to see if there is any coolant leaks at the water pump. I use a sound stethoscope to listen near each pulley to see if the noise can be isolated. Then I would remove the serpentine belt and turn or wiggle each pulley and component to see if the problem can be felt. You should be able to find the cause this way. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

3. Could my water pump be going bad if my car hasn't over heated yet?