Q: Cost to replace/repair front axle

The vehicle began to shake hard while pulling to the right. After completing a left turn, the vehicle made a grinding sound and when trying to accelerate, it wouldn't. When pulling to the shoulder of the road, I heard what sounded like (tink, tink) screws/parts falling to the street! After getting over, I turned the vehicle off then restarted it. When I put it in gear, the grinding sound was louder and more violent. The day before, the vehicle pulled to the right and make a loud choking sound and wouldn't accelerate. After restarting it, I was able to drive into a Purrfect Auto location down the street. There was an inspection performed and the mechanic informed me that my left and right control arms were loose and suggested they be replaced. He used a tool to force them to move/shake the car! He said the axle was fine, but suggested replacing the shocks and struts. There's no problem with the struts or the control arms, but my axle is shot! What do you think?

Hi there:

Without being there to physically inspect your 2007 Chrysler Sebring, it’s very difficult to give you an accurate diagnosis or recommendation. Typically if you hear something fall off the vehicle (as your question indicates), and you’re experiencing grinding sounds; then it’s likely a problem with the CV axle or perhaps wheel bearings. I would highly recommend having a mobile mechanic complete a car is shaking or vibrating inspection; so they can determine what needs to be repaired on your vehicle.

3. Cost to replace/repair front axle