Q: cooling fan wont spin

hi there. have just braught a 85 mazda 323 4 door and have notice that the fan isnt running. have just replaced the radiator and fan, started it up and it still isnt working, just wondering if you could help me diagnose the problem please

A: Hi there. Radiator cooling fan operation is...

Hi there. Radiator cooling fan operation is not designed, to continuously run. It is designed to turn on at a specific temperature, generally around 220 degrees. A quick check to see if the cooling fan is capable, would be to turn the a/c system on, at this point cooling fan(s) should turn on. The next step would be turn the a/c off, and allow the temperature to reach past halfway on the gauge and the cooling fan should cycle on. Assuming, the cooling fan(s) is inoperative. It could be, a blown cooling fan fuse, a faulty cooling fan relay. The cooling fan inoperative with temperature could be, a faulty coolant fan switch. I recommend having your vehicle’s inoperative cooling fan be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.