Q: Cooling fan runs constantly only when service engine soon is on 94cutlass ciera 2.2 l 4 cyl can't extract dtc codes no pin on conn

Cooling fan runs constantly only when service engine soon is on 94cutlass ciera 2.2 l 4 cyl can't extract dtc codes no pin on conn under dash to short across bc it's a 94 just between OBD2 & OBD1 is there any way to read codes without $$$$ scanner tool ? I know on 85 & up you can count the flashes after shorting 2 pins n troubleshoot those but this car has no pin on that connector ????? This car has all it's service records from Nick's pontiac/Oldsmobile in Woodbridge VA. From the day my grandma bought it brand new she has since past. I am the second owner

The scan tool is essential, consequently the mechanic will have that tool. However, malfunctioning cooling fans can usually be diagnosed without a scanner because the fault is usually in a limited electrical circuit (so, not that many things to test). The issue with the cooling fans can be repaired first and if the check engine light continues to come on after that repair then a scan tool must be used to determine where to focus the diagnostic, otherwise there are simply too many possibilities and it is very inefficient to blindly "test everything". If you desire a diagnostic and repair, I would suggest that you request a cooling fan/fan circuit diagnostic. Once that issue is resolved, the mechanic can then perform a check engine light diagnostic and the mechanic will download any and all other codes that might have been stored implicating other faults. Once the mechanic has that data, the mechanic can advise you if other problem exist. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.

3. Cooling fan runs constantly only when service engine soon is on 94cutlass ciera 2.2 l 4 cyl can't extract dtc codes no pin on conn