Q: Coolant temperature increase, service hybrid light on

Hi. There is something going on with the coolant temperature in my car. It is usually 187, but these days it reads 209. While I was driving, the dashboard showed the service hybrid light illuminated, along with the coolant temperature. There was no overheating light on though. What could be causing this? Thanks.

A: Hello. If the coolant is getting hotter tha...

Hello. If the coolant is getting hotter than normal it will also affect the hybrid system. If the coolant is low then this will occur. If the coolant level is fine then it is more than likely a weak water pump or a failing thermostat. These are both common. I use an infrared thermometer to check the temperatures to see if the thermostat is failing. If it is fine then the coolant flow needs to be checked to see if the pump is weak. If you want to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose this.