Q: Coolant system

Broken belt for water pump, engine got close to the red before shut down. Then after repair and filling it with coolant, it still got hot even though the temperature gauge read normal. Upper radiator hose was swelled and dancing around. Replaced radiator, water pump, and thermostat. Looking in radiator with engine running i see no movement of coolant. I can squeeze upper and lower radiator hose and can't feel any coolant moving. Drove about 20 miles and it did not over heat but still don't see coolant moving.heater blows hot air and even with heater on I don't see any movement. I ran water from the garden hose through heater hoses, no blockage, removed upper radiator hose at the radiator and the bottom hose at the radiator and ran water through engine block, no blockage. So my question is should I be able to see coolant moving with the radiator cap removed? All parts are genuine Toyota parts. Also had a code of P0115.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. The <a href='htt...

Hi, thanks for writing in. The P0115 code is for a temperature sensor that is open or shorted. This could be a failed sensor, or just that the engine temperature has gotten to a point that is outside of normal parameters. There is some testing that can be done to verify its function. As far as the coolant circulation, once the thermostat opens, you should be able to observe the coolant circulating through the radiator. There could be an air bubble in the system that needs to be bled out, but I would really question if the water pump is working at this point. I would wonder why the belt broke in the first place. If the water pump failed, it could have broken the shaft that drives the impeller on the inside, and therefore won't circulate the coolant. It could also have caused the belt to fail. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs.