Q: COOLANT LEAK 1978 Lincoln Continental Mark V

HELLO, MY NAME IS RAY. I LIVE IN JAPAN NOW AND HAS SOME ISSUE ON 78 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL MARK V. IT HAS 65000MILES ON THE MOTOR. WHEN I TURN ON THE HEATER, THERE IS COOLANT LEAK BY PASSENGER SIDE FIRE WALL. FROM "BLACK BOX"?? I GUESS. THE CUSTOMER BOUGHT IT USED. AND ITS SEEMS PREVIES OWNER TRIED TO FIX IT OR SOMETHING. I CAN SEE THEY TRIED TO OPEN THE BOX AND PLASTIC WELDED BACK. BUT THE ISSUE IS NOT FIX YET. SO MY QUESTION IS WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO JUST STOP THE COOLANT LEAK? I DON`T CARE TO KILL THE HEATER OR TO FIX IT COMPLETLY. I JUST WANT TO STOP THE WATER LEAK. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO GET RID OF THE WATER LEAK? AND HOW HARD IS IT TO OPEN THE HEATER CASE? PLEASE ADVISE ME MASTERS.

Hi - I believe you have a leak in the heater core - the tiny radiator under the dash (inside the big black plastic box you mention) that converts hot engine coolant to heat for the passengers. There is no short-cut to replacing it - disassembly of the HVAC air controls under the dash is necessary to get to the heater corel. Unfortunately, YourMechanic does not currently operate in Japan, but thanks for thinking of us!