Q: Coolant is leaking from my radiator cap, cap and water pump replaced last year. T-stat housing just replaced

Coolant is leaking from my radiator cap which sits on top of the t-stat housing. I just replaced the t-stat and housing, the water pump and radiator cap were replaced last year.

Hi Marcus. Thanks for contacting us tonight. Although it is rare for a radiator cap to fail within a year, it is possible; especially if there is too much ’coolant’ inside the system. The coolant should be a 50/50 ratio of coolant to distilled water. If more coolant is in the cooling system than distilled water, the coolant will expand when it heats and cause excessive pressure to build. The first item to ’break’ will be the cap - which is much better than the radiator or the thermostat housing. You might want to flush the coolant and refill with a recommended 50/50 ratio (making sure to use DISTILLED WATER - not regular tap water) - and purchase a new radiator cap. If you’d like one of our mobile mechanics to complete the coolant flush for you, please let us know as we’d be happy to help.

3. Coolant is leaking from my radiator cap, cap and water pump replaced last year. T-stat housing just replaced