Q: Convertible top issues with no SID message

I'm working on a friend's car, and we could not figure out why her convertible top would not go up or down, one day i was fiddling with it and finally got it to go down, it went up and down several times that day with no issues, when she parked it in her drive for the night and then got up the next morning and tried to use it, it would not go down :( i tried doing it as well, still would not work! the motor seems to be working because when i unlatch the mechanism right above the rearview mirror and it is open slightly, i can get the motor to close the gap a little, however, when i try to make the top go down, it does nothing! i always make sure the backseat is laid forward, trunk lid is closed and the engine running with the E brake engaged, what could be the problem?!?! I have read that when something DOES go bad with a convertible top on this particular saab, that there's usually a message on the SID saying "Soft Top Failure" there is no message on this car about that.... Please help

First item I would check is the fluid level of the pump behind the back seat. If the fluid level is at a proper level, then I would look for signs of water intrusion with the top half way up near the trunk lid on the sides. A lot of times, a water leak can develop and corrode the limit switches or connectors in that area. Sometimes turning the car off and on again can reset the system where you can force the top down while pressing the button can help you if it is stuck open.

Beyond that, you will need a Tech 2 scan tool to be able to read the values of the multiple limit switches involved in the soft top system. There may also be codes in the system which can give you ideas of what the issue is. The system is very complicated and adjustments to the switches require factory service information and the Tech 2.

So after checking the fluid level and doing a visual inspection for water intrusion or obvious damage, special tools and service information is required. At that point, you will likely have to find a specialized shop who will be able to perform this diagnosis.

3. Convertible top issues with no SID message