Q: Concerned about cam belt tensioner apparently being installed the wrong way around

I have a 2006 Fiat Panda which I booked in for it's 2nd 'cam belt service' at 190 000 km yesterday. On collection today the belt sounded too noisy for my liking - so I left it with the mechanic. The workshop secretary subsequently contacted me to say that the cam belt tensioner had initially been installed the wrong way around, but that fortunately no damage had been done. Should I be concerned that the cam belt has been compromised - and if so - what can I do when I collect my car tomorrow. Many Thanks, Gavin

A: Hello. If there was any damage that was goi...

Hello. If there was any damage that was going to be done it would have been that way then you dropped it back off. Besides some noise the vehicle would have been running very poorly. If the engine was running fine when you took it back and it was simply just for the noise then you should be fine. They more than likely did not tension the belt correctly and that was all. You should have them double check the work to make sure that is done correctly. If you find that you need to have it re-installed, and would like someone else to do the work, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to adjust your belt tensioner.