Q: Computer taken out by close lightning strike.

My corolla was sitting in 8-12 inches of water in a dirt driveway, with large overhanging trees and a large bush on either side. Lightning struck very close by. The car was working just fine when it was parked. The next morning after the Lightning storm, the car would not start. It was determined the computer was dead. But insurance wont pay because they can't prove lightning was the reason the computer went out. There were no scorch marks or melted wiring. My question is, is it possible that the the nearby lightning strike did take the computer out (esp with the car in standing water), and is there any way to prove it to my insurance?

A: [The National Lightning Safety Institute]((...

[The National Lightning Safety Institute](( reports that some vehicles struck by lightning experience external damage, including pitting and arcing, as well as internal damage to electronic systems and components. It is pretty likely that an electric pulse from the lightning strike caused some damage to the vehicle's electrical systems, but since it was not a direct strike to the vehicle, the insurance company may not cover the damage. This is similar to a driver veering off of the road to avoid hitting a deer and possibly damaging the car in the process. If the driver were to file a claim and mention the deer and there was no evidence on the vehicle of an impact with a deer (hair, blood, and guts), the damage would likely not be covered.