Q: Completely useless GPS system

I paid extra to get a 2012 Subaru Outback with a built-in navigation system, and that was a mistake. Barely had 9,000 miles on it and the thing was just the worst GPS I have ever used. If I asked to find sand in a desert it would send me to the nearest ocean. I never use it. There has to be some high-tech solution to all of this, right?

Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done on a manufacturer level with this type of problem. An aftermarket (Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine) unit that has better functions and a stronger GPS could be installed. However, the original fit and finish of the vehicle may be affected, and some functionality may be lost (steering wheel buttons, etc.). Another option is to pair a smart phone with navigation via Bluetooth or USB to the existing navigation system. This would play the step-by-step audio throughout the vehicle system and may give better map data. A final option would be to purchase a stand-alone unit from Garmin or Magellan and add a car kit for power and mounting.

3. Completely useless GPS system