Q: Compass broke, a pain for being out in the mountains

Like a lot of Subaru owners out there, I love the outdoors. I take my 2009 Subaru Forester with me on a lot of treks and the roads to get out there are usually pretty barren. I was really excited that this year of Forester came with a compass built in, but the darn thing stopped working after 10,000 miles or so. I haven’t had it since then and I am at 28,000 miles now. I want to fix it because I love it, but I can’t afford a big repair right now. Is this possible?

Hello James! Thank you for writing in about this problem. The compass failure could be related to the wiring that runs to the mirror/compass. It could also be that the compass was inadvertently turned off (the right-side button on the mirror. If the compass is switched “on” and is still not reading properly, a professional from YourMechanic can perform an electrical diagnosis on the mirror assembly to see if the compass is receiving a proper signal.