Q: Code P0562, trouble starting, but once it starts runs smoothly...battery or alternator?

When I try to start the car sometimes I only get a "click" sometimes it tries to crank up and lights on dash fluctuate and sometimes it starts. Engine light is on. Friend used scanner and got P0562 code. If I manage to get it to start, engine runs smoothly and has no problems under load or otherwise. Is this a dead/dying battery, or do I have bigger problems with a faulty alternator, or hopefully just loose alternator belt?

P0562 could set if the alternator is faulty or there is a problem in the charging circuit such as high resistance in the cable between the alternator and battery or high resistance or an open circuit between the alternator and the control module. Prior to performing diagnostics, the battery should be load tested. If the battery passes a load test, charging system output should be tested and verified against the factory service manual specification. If you want the required diagnostic steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a hard start diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Code P0562, trouble starting, but once it starts runs smoothly...battery or alternator?