Q: clutch shifting not working

When I push the clutch in, the RPMs go up instead of down - my foot is not on the gas. When I stop it takes a really long time for the RPMs to come down to an idle. And I can't seem to stall the car - in first with foot off the clutch and gas and the car won't stall. When the car is idling it is very jumpy. It almost seems like there is a continuous flow of gas. How can this be fixed?

A: If the car is idling too fast it is getting...

If the car is idling too fast it is getting excess air from some source. This called a vacuum leak. Usually a visual inspection will find a hose disconnected or deteriorated. Have a close look at the vacuum hose that goes to the brake booster.

Any source of air leaking into the intake manifold will cause increased idle speed as the computer adds fuel to match the air coming into the engine. The Saturn also has a computer controlled component called and intake air control (IAC). This may be dirty or inoperative on your car, allowing the idle to be uncontrolled. A scan tool can be helpful on the diagnosis and an experienced technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to locate and repair the cause of the idling issue.