Q: Clutch pedal goes to floor; shifting difficult

The clutch pedal goes straight to the floor. Prior to this, shifting became difficult.

From this description it does appear that your classic Beetle is experiencing issues with its clutch system. It is possible that a routine adjust to the clutch may resolve the vehicle’s problem with the pedal going to the floor. However, it is much more likely, due to the age of the vehicle, that the clutch disc has reached the end of its life and will need to be replaced. With this kind of diagnosis, I highly recommend enlisting the assistance of a certified mechanic who can inspect your clutch pedal and come up with the needed repairs.