Q: clutch not working properly

My 540i functions normally when I am driving slow, but when I drive it more than a quarter throttle the revs spike and the acceleration does not match. It feels as if I am feathering the clutch when my left foot is completely off the pedal. As I let up on the gas the engine seems to catch up with the rpms. It struggles at times on medium sized hills with the same problems. There are no wierd, noisy sounds when shifting gears. Can you help?

If the engine RPM’s raise and speed does not match especially under loaded acceleration or in higher gears, this is the first indication of a worn clutch disc. Clutch disc thickness needs to be checked and if the thickness is below specification then a new clutch set would need to installed. The flywheel would need to be checked for possible machining and/or replacement. If you want to have this verified before moving forward with any repairs, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose your clutch problem and advise you on what to do next.

3. clutch not working properly